26/02/2013

FREEFORM PEYOTE





I made this piece for a demanding customer and ended up getting stuck with it. I'm not crying my eyes out though as I enjoyed the process of creating it. Here's what happened. I bid a request on Etsy's alchemy. Someone wanted freeform peyote at $55.00, I was surprised when she got in touch to ask me to see the materials and what method I would use. Then she sent me samples of what she wanted (colour-wise). I told her I could do it for her as I had beads in those colours.

Usually when I bid on Etsy, they complain about my shipping rates, understandably so too, it'll be cheaper for a buyer in the USA to buy from a fellow American as shipping would be a fraction of what I'd ask (shipping from Italy). Anyway. I didn't hear from her for about two weeks and forgot all about it, but she got back and said she was interested in working with me but she wanted the piece to be a lot heavier than the pieces she had showed me. She then sent me fotos of even more pieces, something that I would probably charge at least 250 for the work that goes into it alone! Not to mention and additional 200 for the materials as they were covered in gemstones. I pointed that out to her (she wanted it that thick and in gems too).

Finally, she sent me a lovely yellow piece that she wanted me to recreate. I told her I could use the colours as a guide, but for ethical reasons, I didn't feel comfortable recreating another beader's work (I later found out is a creation from the Etsy shop of a fellow beadweaver - an EBW member!

Anyway, when I began creating, I realized, to be able to create anything as close as her description of what she wanted (thick), I'd have to improvise with materials (which I did), in order to be able to be within the price range agreed on. In the end, it didn't turn out as the piece she wanted which shouldn't have been a surprise, because I had already said I was NOT going to recreate another artist's work....and she didn't like the 'orange in it' lol. But she did say it was otherwise lovely.... so that gives me on more thing in my shop, Hurray to demanding customers.

5 comments:

  1. Good Grief Nan. You handled all that really well, and your positive attitude is so very pleasant. The necklace is lovely and very autumnal and someone will love it. I think custom work is for the birds, mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your positive attitude through all this! And I think the piece turned out lovely. Much more daring than anything I'm ready to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful piece. I applaude you for not wanting to copy another beaders work. I'm sure someone else will buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a beautiful piece and the colours are great. I love the orange in it.

    ReplyDelete