09/01/2016

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!


I have left this blog unattended for the most part of last year and I have a very good explanation. I got employed at a synagogue, and not being Jewish meant I had to learn about Judaic practices and belief in order to do my job decently. What I didn’t anticipate was that I would be deeply immersed in it to the point of ignoring my creative endeavors. There was too much to learn and too little time! I still have loads to learn about it but it has been a rewarding journey so far and I intend to keep learning.

My employment at the synagogue came to an end yesterday and my colleagues took me out for Lunch. I was asked what the next plan was and I said I had none. The truth is I think I have. I have for the past few years focused only partially on expanding my own fashion business, treating it more as a hobby than a possible source of livelihood. When I found out that due to budgetary reasons I was going to be laid off, I started searching for employment elsewhere. My Boss was gracious enough to offer to be my reference if I needed one. I even went for a job interview last week that went so well but I didn’t get the job. They said I was over qualified for the position!!!

I was hopeful for that position because it’s a small family run, high end business. While talking to the owner during the interview and hearing about their history and work ethics, I remember thinking “If I do get this job, I’ll give it my best, but if I don’t it’ll be sign for me to work on mine”.  Talking with the interviewer and hearing about how they started the business, what huddles they overcame and where they are heading to made me for the first time think “Hey! I can do this - I can have and run MY OWN BUSINESS!!!” It was, in a weird way, the eye opener I needed, to understand that my passion for fashion CAN become an income generating business too. I don’t need to be big, I don’t need to mass produce, I don’t even need to follow the fad,  I just need to have a focus on classic individuality (which has always been the base of my wearable art anyway) with a clientele that can and will appreciate what I make!

I have a new website for my line and will resume blogging again, to share my creative process and to offer coupons and discounts to you, my readers. I can do this and I’ll show you that I really can.
May this year bring you all loads of love, good wealth and great health.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment